Sunday, April 29, 2012

Mercatino e Mare


 April 26, 2012 Today me, my mom, my cousin Claudia, and my Zia Giovanna all went to the mercatino (giant flea market) at Catanzaro Lido which is near the ocean. Today was the first day we were actually at the beach and I was able to touch the water for the first time since we have been here. It wasn't too cold, but it is still not warm enough here to go swimming in. I love going to the mercatino, because you can buy a lot of things for cheap and then barter/argue with them to lower the price and get what you want for even cheaper. Then when you tell them no the price is to much and walk away they will sometimes come after you with the item you want wrapped in a bag for the price you want to pay. That's how I got my bracelet :-) Of course I have my cousin argue price since they are pros, and if I try to barter they will be able to tell with my broken Italian I am not from here and then take advantage of me. However, last time I was here 6 years ago in Rome with my cousin I did barter by myself and get what I wanted for the price I wanted, so I guess I could practice some more here. The thing that is different here from our flea markets is that here in Italy they sell all kinds of food. They have a mobile meat truck that you walk in side of to purchase meats, there is a fish truck where you can go purchase different types of fish...they even had 2 stingrays available for purchase EWE!! They also have stands to sell fruits, nuts,  cookies, vegetables and more. They are definitely larger markets than what we have at home.                    


No comments: