Friday, April 20, 2012

Traveling Through Time



     April 17,2012-April 18,2012 Today we spent the day traveling through time. I feel like I lost a day which technically I did since we are now 9 hours ahead of the US time. Our first flight was on an American Airlines 737 plane that had large space compartments for luggage and semi comfortable seats. When we left Chicago for Rome we were on an American Airlines 767 plane. One would think that a larger plane=larger space for luggage but nope..the larger plane had more uncomfortable seating and smaller space compartments for luggage. Fortunately for us we had no problems getting our carry on items to fit unlike others. Our last flight was on Alitalia from Rome to a city close to where my family lives. Usually this plane is louder and a rougher flight since it is a smaller plane. This time I somehow managed to sleep through take off and didn't wake up until after we were in the air. The landing was amazing...smoothest landing I have ever had on a plane. Too bad that pilot can't be my personal chauffer for future flights. While we were in Rome waiting for our last flight we had a 4 hour layover. The agent had asked us for some numbers to input in the computer so that she could check and see where our baggage was being sent. After spending about 20 minutes calling American Airlines and my dad trying to figure out why they didn't give us these numbers we needed, I ended up finding them in my wallet. The lady in San Fransisco put our tickets in an envelope and handed it to me not explaining that the stickers on the envelope would be needed for our bags....good thing I didn't throw them away. Finally after we collected our bags at our final destination we were able to finally go meet our family that I have not seen for 6 years.

     April 19,2012 Today was a lazy day which was definitely needed considering I was able to catch up on the sleep that I missed during our day of travel plus getting adjusted to the time change. My morning started off waking up at 10am. I woke up and went to say hello to my cousin who came over to see us and we ate a small breakfast. The breakfast here isn't like the breakfast we have in America. Italians usually eat pasteries and coffee in the morning. After visiting for a little bit I went to lay back down and fell asleep for another couple of hours. I woke up again in time for lucnh around 1pm and had pasta burro mmmm (spaghetti with butter and fresh parmesan cheese). Although we can buy fresh parmesan cheese in America, there is something about being in Italy that makes it taste a whole lot better. After lunch I was freezing cold so I went to lay under the covers and read my book...what do you know I fell asleep again!
     We are staying with my aunt who is 76 years old and she has a heater, but does not know how to use it. Not only is the weather here cold and rainy, but her house has tile floors all throughout and the windows had been open until we got here (now they are closed). I don't dare let my bare feet touch the freezing floor but I am also hesitant to enter the bathroom. The toilet here is 100% porcelain and it does not have a plastic lid like we have in America to sit down on...so you can imagine porcelain+cold=literally freezing my @$$ off. Oh yeah they also have a water heater that is set to low, so the water only gets lukewarm...good thing I remember from last time where the switch is to turn it up.
     Since we were coming here the week after Easter I had asked my family to get me a chocolate egg. I remember when I was here in 2nd grade for Easter they have big chocolate eggs that you crack open and there is a gift inside. My cousin Veruska gave me one as a gift and then when I got home later that day I found another one in my room as a surprise from my uncle.

     The first week has already been challenging remembering the language. I understand almost everything, but get frustrated when I can't think of what it is I want to say...I know me frustrated?? NEVER! My cousins noticed that when my mom speaks to me in Italian I have been responding to her in English. Veruska my cousin tells me IN ITALIAN!!! She's good at correcting me and making me speak. I explained to them (in Italian) that it is easier for me to respond in English because by the time I think of what I need to say in Italian the conversation is already over. It's funny that Veruska's son who is 6 years old is sitting in the backseat of the car correcting my grammar as well...with all this help I should be fluent in no time.
    

No comments: