Saturday, April 21, 2012

Testa Dura

April 20,2012 This morning after I woke up and went into the kitchen there was an amazing pastry waiting for me that my cousin  Roberto went and bought especially for me. For those who think that Mr. T's doughnuts are great...these pastries here are ten times better. This is one of the first things I wanted to try when I got here because I remember how great it was 6 years ago when I had one for the first time. It is called a bomba (bomb) because of all  the creme and sugar it has. It is basically a round filled doughnut with sugar on top, but the creme inside of this one was Nutella. They also have a vanilla creme filling which I think is a lot better probably because we already have Nutella in the US.




     After 3 days without  a computer or phone my cousin Veruska took me to her house so that I could use her computer. Only 3 days and I feel like I am already lost haha. My cousin Nico also activated a cell phone for us to use. We can call the US for free! Almost everyone here has 2 cell phones or more. One for each provider. It is like us having one phone for verizon and one for AT&T. I laughed at my cousin because when her phone rang she had to pull out all 3 of her phones to see which one was ringing.Later while she was giving me the tour of her house I found a 4th phone (iphone) in her bedroom. I call it crazy, but their total bill for 3 phones probably equals my total bill for my 1 iphone. It's definitely cheaper here for phone service.

     My mom is from the region called Calabria. They call people from here Calabrese and they also say they have una testa dura (hard head). Today we went to the bank to exchange our money and the man at the bank was being difficult. My mom said that he had said something to the effect of "you guys should have gone somewhere else." She took it as though he didn't want to help us, and her Calabrese stubborn attitude kicked in. She said "forget it I don't want to do business with him, he doesn't want my money anyways!" She started walking away and was then telling me in English that I should do the same, but if I left now the banks were closing and I wouldn't have been able to get money until Monday. I stuck it out with my cousin Veruska and the man eventually changed my money. As for mom she has to wait until Monday now.

No comments: