Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Francesco's 1st Communion

     May 27, 2012 Today was Francesco's 1st Communion. I was going to go watch my cousin Antonio play football, and then join them for a party for my cousin Gaetanno, but instead I decided to go to the first communion. I have not seen these cousins since I have been here and felt that I should go. I am happy that I went becaue I was able to see my cousins I have not seen yet since we have been here plus I got to meet some other step cousins of mine. They were actually all a lot of fun. They were practicing their English and then having me practice my Italian. When we were done eating lunch one of Francesco's uncles heard that I was from America, and moved closer to where me and the kids were sitting, so that he could hear us talking and teaching each other phrases. Mario asked if we had any American money with us because he has never seen American money before. I think my mom is going to give them a little surprise the next time we see them before we leave! Shhh!

     The first communion's here are definitely a lot different and bigger than those I have been to at home. When I was younger I got to pick a pretty white dress, and here all of the kids where the same type of gown. The kids also carry gifts to the front of the alter. Some items included were bread, fruits, and vegetables. Here it is also an all day event. Most of the time is because of the food. There were so many servings of food, that I didn't think the food would ever stop coming. By the end of the day when the party was over, we were all exhausted and just went home to lay down and relax. When we got home for some reason mom wasn't feeling good and had to lay down for a little while. I had finally found a movie on tv and was excited because I found a movie for the first time that I was actually able to understand.

No comments: