Thursday, May 3, 2012

On Our Way to Naples

 
     May 1, 2012 We left for Naples this morning which by train was only about 2-3 hours. I didn't really pay attention to the time, but by car it takes 4 hours and the train was definitely faster. At one point the train completely stopped while we were in a tunnel.  I didn't like that at all. My cousin said it probably stopped for another train to go by, but what it reminded me of was those dumb movies where people hop on board and take over. Most of the way here the tracks ran right along the coast line, and I got to see the beautiful ocean and beaches all the way here. There was a couple areas where it was countryside which was also a gorgeous view.
     My cousin Gaetano had to be at the hospital at 6pm to stay the night since his procedure was the following morning. They said that I was the only one that could go with him to take him there. Things are very different here and done very differently at these hospitals. When we got to the hospital no one came to check him in or say hello. We just went straight to a room where there were 4 pediatric beds. I thought someone would
eventually come in, but while I was there I never saw anyone. Only the mom is allowed to stay the night with the baby. I had asked my cousin if they were going to put a bracelet on him with his name and she said no only when they are born do they get the bracelets. I asked her then how are the doctors to know who is who and if they are doing the right procedure on the right patient and she said that the doctors have a paper/card in their office. My cousins cardiac surgeon is a doctor who came here from bagdad. My cousin says that people from all different cities and sometimes countries come here to Naples just to see him and have their procedures done. The hospital is a University similar to UC Davis and UCSF.
     After we left Gaetano and his mom there for the night we came back to the house and then everyone went out for a walk in the city. Everything was closed of course because it was another holiday. I swear every week we have been here so far there has been some kind of holiday where everything is closed and no one works that day. I wish we had more holidays like that at home. A friend of Claudia's named Domenico came and met up with us and took me, her, and my aunt for a little drive around. We are supposed to go again later this week before we leave, so that I can do some sightseeing and shopping.

No comments: