Thursday, May 24, 2012

My New Cousin Sara

     May 24, 2012 This morning we had to get up early to take my aunt back to the hospital since she didn't want to stay overnight. They had to re-check her blood work and see if her cardiac enzymes were still elevated. If they were normal they were going to let her return home, but if they were elevated they were going to have to admit her. The first blood test they took this morning came back again with an elevated troponin level. Roberto talked to the doctor and they decided to re-check her levels again in 4 hours. During this time they allowed my aunt to come sit out in the waiting room with us since we aren't allowed to go into the back.
     Roberto again was going back and forth between his wife and mom today. He asked me if I wanted to go upstairs to see the baby, and of course I wasn't going to say no. I got to meet my new cousin Sara and hold her for the first time(today was actually the first time I got to meet his wife too). She was so precious. Roberto took pictures for me, and when I got back to my mom I was bragging that I got to hold her first. They should be coming home today, and since they live close to my aunt hopefully I will get to see her a little more before we leave.
    We then took my aunt's EKG and blood work results upstairs while we were waiting for the final results of the last blood test. My cousin had a cardiologist look at the EKG and ask his advice. My aunt keeps telling everyone she thinks it is her pacemaker that is causing her pain since it is hurting in her arm and chest, but it hurts a lot when she touches it. We thought it had to do with a possible MI which some of it could have been, but I saw how she grimaces when the doctor touched her chest and I think she is partly right as well. When they replace her pacemaker because the first one was old they placed the new one in a different spot from where the first one had been. The cardiologist ordered an echo to check the position of the pacemaker, but did not see anything abnormal. They ended up discharging my aunt from the hospital because the last set of blood work came back normal. When we got home my aunt found her x-ray films that show the pacemaker and its wires, so that she can take them with her to her next dr. appointment. Luckily everything today turned out to be ok, and she was able to return home.
     I have to say with all that I have seen in the hospital and ER, I never expected to see something that could possibly be a useful tool in our ER waiting room. In their waiting room they have a flat screen tv with patient information. When a patient checks in, they are assigned a number and given a triage tag stating their acuity. This monitor switches back and forth between two different screens. The first screen shows the patients who are currently waiting listed by their number (instead of name) that they were assigned, the time they checked in, and the color of their acuity. The next screen shows the different colors of acuity and explains what each color means(this is also explained on the triage tag given to them). I thought this was actually a good way of educating and informing patients plus they know how many more patients are "sicker" than they are. I know it's probably a long shot, but heck it might even eliminate our patients constantly asking, "how many more people are in front of me?" and "how much longer do I have to wait?"

     Later this eveneing Veruska and I went to pick up my mom, so that we could go look for a gift for Francesco's 1st communion. Veruska took us to a jewelry store, and I already didn't like it when I walked in because there wasn't anything to look at, and I like to browse and see what they have. Instead the owner pulls out some wraps from the safe with jewelry in it to show us. They know we were American's because my cousins are friends with them plus they made a comment that they remembered us when we walked in. Why do all the other countries think that American's have money? I'm just curious because I wish I was as rich as they think I am. The man pulled out one wrap with chains only. I told my mom that I want to see the entire necklace together as one or start with a charm and then choose the chain. Well he kept showing us the chains, and even with the discount we were going to get on chain (without the charm) was going to cost us 600-800 Euros. That is probably $1,000.00 What the heck?!? One gold chain??? You've got to be kidding me. I know I am American, but do they think I have a money tree in my backyard. LOL I wish that were the case. We obviously didn't purchase anything from that store, but I do have to say they were very nice and helpful which I haven't seen very much since we have been here. 

No comments: