Thursday, May 31, 2012

Italian Meat Market

     May 29, 2012 This morning after we were all ready Zio Leopoldo drove me, mom, and Zia Pupa to the hospital. My aunt had an appointment with the hematology doctor to see if he would order some tests, because she has been having some pain in her arms, and she is worried that her cancer is back and may have spread. This hospital that we went to  does not have an Emergency Room, and it was a lot nicer and cleaner. There were a bunch of medical offices and I had asked my mom why they call it a hospital if it is just for appointments, but I guess they admit patients to this hospital as well. The doctor ordered some tests for her to have done in June since she already had some tests done when she was in the emergency room. After we were done at the hospital I went home with Zia Pupa and Zio Leopoldo, so that Veruska could come pick me up and take me to her house. Mom walked home with Zia Giovanna, and Zio Gaetanno because she wanted to go visit a friend that lived by  their house. Zio Gaetano wanted me to take a picture of  the "old ladies" because with their ages combined they are "antique" 200 years. The bottom picture is a view from outside the hospital...absolutely gorgeous.

     Veruska ended up having to work, but at least I was able to catch up on my journaling and updating my pictures on Facebook. Mom, Zia Giovanna, and Zio Gaetano showed up at Veruska's unexpectedly because they changed their minds on what they were going to do. Instead of going to the supermarket they decided to go to Catanzaro Lido to get gelatto. Of course I jumped at that because any time someone is going near the beach I am going  with them.  I wanted to get a panini for dinner again. This is the second time I have tried going to get a panini at Alexander's and the pub has been closed. I really do not understand how people make a living here when their stores are closed all of the time, so who knows when I will get my panini I have been wanting since  this resteraunt is always closed. I know there are other places I can get one, but this place is really good.
     Another reason they wanted to go to Catanzaro Lido was because Zia Pupa wanted to get some meat from a meat market here that is really good. This is definitely different than our meat departments at home. Here they have meat and sausages hanging from the ceiling, complete chickens (with feet) and rabbits (with full body including eyes and head) that look lilke they have just been skinned out back. GROSS!!
     It's really hard being a far away from family and friends when there are big events going on back at home whether it be a birthday, a wedding, or even the loss of a family or friend. Today I found out that my friend Aimee her granny passed away. I am very close to her family and consider them all a part of my family. I have been a part of their family for over 10 years, and it is very hard now knowing that I cannot be there now for my friends during the loss of their Mother/Granny. We have been in Italy for so long I feel like I live here now rather than being on vacation because a lot has gone on here and back at home.

No comments: