Tuesday, May 15, 2012

"Ti Faccio Vedere!"

     May 9, 2012 I stayed the night at Veruska's again last night and I had asked her to wake me up at 8am because I wanted to go to the mercatino early in the morning. Well she came and woke me up, but it was 9:30am. I thought she was kidding at first and then found out that was the actual time. I jumped out of bed and got ready. Once I was dressed and ready to go she was asking me "vuoi un cafè?" (do you want coffee) and I would tell her "no grazie, andiamo!" ( no thank you, let's go), then she asked "qualcosa per mangiare?" (something to eat) and I again replied, "no grazie, andiamo!" (no thank you, let's go). I was in a  hurry...things here close early and then you have to wait until after lunch to go out again...I just wanted to get out the door and start my day.
     We finally left the house and went to get Zia Rita (Veruska's mom). Then we were on our way to the mercatino wich is outside Zia Pupa's house. My mom came down, we shopped a little, and then she came with us back to Veruska's for lunch. After we ate me, mom, Karol, Zia Rita, and Veruska left again in search for the clothing stand I wanted to buy for my aunt. In America most of us have sedan size cars or bigger. Here very rarely do I see a sedan size car. So far I have seen one range rover, BMW, Auidi, VW Passat and a Mercedes. The rest are all Smart cars, Panda's, Cinquecentos, and motocaros. We have larger cars and yet we still can never manage to find room to place our larger purchases when we go shopping. Here my cousin has a little Fiat and with 5 of us in the car we still managed to get one laundry basket, one garbage can, a large pot for a plant, the clothing stand, and a lot of smaller items in the car with us. It probably took us about ten minutes to figure something out, but in the end we were all packed away like sardines. At one point Karol was cramped in the back seat under the clothing stand until we decided to do some re-arranging.
Finally after everything was situated we dropped Zia Rita off first, and then we went to Zia Pupa's to take her the things I bought her. After that we headed back out to downtown Catanzaro to look for some shoes I liked to see if they had a certain size. While we were in the car my cousin Karol wanted to start playing with me and see who could put their seatbelt on the fastest. I got my on first and then he took it off. Then at the next stop he beat me and I unlatched his. At this point he got mad and started a tantrum. After I told Veruska why he was acting that way she scolded him. When she was done he decided to hit my hand. I turned around to him and I said, " tu vuoi picchiare la mia mano di nuovo? Ti faccio vedere cosa faccio a te!" ( you want to hit my hand again? I'll show you what I will do to you if you hit me again!). All of a sudden my cousin Veruska starts laughing (I had to look away because I didn't want him to see me laughing because I was serious) I assumed I said it wrong, but later I found out I said it right, and that they were laughing because here I am affraid to talk to people in Italian, but I had just scolded my 6 year old cousin in Italian. He obviously understood me because after that there was complete silence in the car and he continued to look out is window and not say one word to me.
     We eventually got back to Veruska's house for dinner. After visiting for a little while after dinner Luciano took my mom and I home. As we were heading out the door my mom asked Karol for a kiss. Here it is custom to salute people before and after you leave with a kiss on both cheeks. Karol never wants to salute me, so I didn't say anything. After he gave my mom a kiss good bye he called my name. I thought he was going to tell me something instead he wanted to give me a kiss.
     At last at home and time to get ready for bed. As mom and I are getting ready I find out that my cousin Claudia she told Zia Pupa that Gaetanno wants to kick her and my butt because we left him there at the hospital. I have to say that is a good sign that he is ready to joke around!

No comments: